Professional Portfolio of Esther Harrison
Summary of Creative Works and Services at SFU
Ruth Wynn Woodward Professor (RWWP) Conference Materials
When I began creative services in SFU’s Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies (GSWS), I used Microsoft’s (MS) Word and Publisher applications to produce layouts for conference materials. During 2010, I gradually switched to Adobe InDesign, as I simultaneously began a multimedia program at UBC with the goal of obtaining a certificate. I received excellent training to design visual communication material from concept to final product. GSWS applications used in production of brochures, flyers, conference programs are MS Word, MS Publisher, plus Adobe’s InDesign, PhotoShop, and Illustrator (CS3) while being trained in tandem utilizing Adobe’s CS5, during Multimedia and Web Development studies:
- Program for Professor Cooper’s 2009 workshop, “Knowledge Production and the Black Experience” (4-pg pdf 324 KB) created using MS Publisher.
- Liaised and collaborated with SFU Art Gallery to produce Professor Cooper’s “Black Communities in British Columbia 1858–2008 Art Exhibit” (pdf 10,561 KB). Credit for InDesign document goes to SFU Art Gallery.
- Poster of Professor Cooper’s 2009 talk “Black Communities in British Columbia, 1858–2008” (pdf 191 KB) created using MS Publisher.
- Poster for Professor Claxton’s 2010 workshop, “Unpacking the Indigenous Female Body” (pdf 130 KB) created using InDesign CS3.
- Press Release, for Professor Cacchioni’s 2011 conference “Medicalization of Sex” (pdf 72 KB) created using MS Word.
- Program for Professor Cacchioni’s 2011 conference, “Medicalization of Sex” in which I incorporated third-party posters and logos (24-pg pdf 758 KB) created using MS Word.
- Prospectus for Department Chair/Professor Murray’s 2011 event “Red Shoes Green Belts White Ribbons: A Breakfast to Celebrate Activism Against Gender Violence in Vancouver” ([with jpg logo] pdf 60 KB) created using MS Word.
- Program for Department Chair/Professor Murray’s 2011 event, “Red Shoes Green Belts White Ribbons: A Breakfast to Celebrate Activism Against Gender Violence in Vancouver” (32-pg pdf with crop marks 420 KB, which is a file I would normally send to the printer, rather than upload to a webpage) created using InDesign CS3.
- Poster for Professor Olwan’s GSWS speakers at 2011 event, “Red Shoes Green Belts White Ribbons: A Breakfast to Celebrate Activism Against Gender Violence in Vancouver” (pdf 141 KB) created using InDesign CS3.
- Poster for Professor Olwan’s 2012 workshop “Gendered Colonialisms: Religion, Violence, and the Canadian State” (pdf 100 KB) created using InDesign CS3.
Traveling Speakers’ Series
GSWS were engaged in many outreach activities. Among them were integrated campaigns such as the Traveling Speakers’ Series where we liaised with other educational facilities, often in isolated northern British Columbia communities. These flyers/handouts were created using the MS Publisher application.
- Poster for 2009 Traveling Speakers’ Series, UBC-Okanagan, Professor Burtch’s talk, “Messages From Silenced Youth: Homophobia & Transphobia in British Columbia High Schools” (pdf 41 KB).
- Poster for Professor Burtch’s 2011 event in Nelson, BC, “Get That Freak!” (pdf 89 KB).
- Handouts for Professor Burtch’s 2009 discussion at North Island College Comox Valley Campus “Messages from Silenced Youth: Homophobia & Transphobia in British Columbia High Schools” (4-per-page pdf 220 KB).
Created a template based on an affiliate website found here and produced posters and flyers based on their “Herstory” theme.
- Flyers of 2011-01-20 Book Launch “Awfully Devoted Women: Lesbian Lives in Canada 1900-65” With guest author Cameron Duder (pdf 104 KB)
- Flyers of 2011-03-13 Walking Tour “History, Gender and Landscape: A Stanley Park Historical Walking Tour” (pdf 109 KB)
- Two-sided flyers for 2011-05-12 talk “Women with Green Thumbs: Celebrating the Creative and Curious Gardeners of Vancouver” (pdf 92 KB)
Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Webpages
GSWS webpages built using the Contribute application. Here is an incomplete yet ever-growing webpage of RWWP Past Chairs since 1985, which were updated as time and information permitted, undertaken by self-initiative.
Webpage produced with the assistance of Department Chair at the time, Professor Murray, explaining the background of the RWWP Chair position. We had to dig deep into old files to obtain this valuable information.
RWW Professor’s Webpages
Each visiting RWW professor was provided with a page where all activities could be documented and retained for historical value.
- SFU-GSWS-2011-2012 Professor Olwan’s webpage of events
- SFU-GSWS-2010-2011 Professor Cacchioni’s webpage of events
- SFU-GSWS-2009-2010 Professor Claxton’s webpage of events
Logos and Advertisements
Movie Night Advertisement
Movie Night Advertisement created using PhotoShop.
Newsletters samplers from most recent in Political Science to oldest in GSWS:
- 2015 Political Science_Newsletter (32-pg pdf, 8,738 KB). Print material via InDesign.
- 2014 Political Science Newsletter (24-pg pdf with live links 3,884 KB). Print material created using MS Publisher.
- 2013 Political Science Newsletter (20-pg pdf 3,192 KB). Print material created using MS Publisher.
- Produced 2008-2009 GSWS Newsletter, Professor Zaman, Editor (pdf 46,021 KB). Print material created using MS Publisher.
- Produced 2007-2008 GSWS Newsletter, Professor Zaman, Editor (pdf 4,262 KB)
Please note: I am not looking for work at the present time.
Copyright © 2014-2016.